Want help finding the perfect hybrid bike?
Without wasting hours searching online? Let us help…
Are you looking for the best hybrid bikes? Welcome to the homepage of Bikes Buffs! We’ll help you to find what you’re looking for with our buying guide as well as our detailed hybrid bike reviews! If you are the kind of person who loves the best of both worlds, one who is having a hard time making up your mind on what kind of rides you want to do or where you want to go, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered all the way. If you are not yet into the intricacies of the biking world, let us take you on a joyride to the Hybrid Technology in bicycles.
Top 5 Hybrid Bike Comparison
Here is a comparison table to our top 5 bikes for your reference. This comparison table shows the basic specs of the bikes in this review for an easier comparison.
Best Hybrid Bikes
|Fork||Alloy||Alloy||RST Suspension with 2” travel||Alloy||Classic curved fork 700c 1 1/8” threadless|
|Shifter||Shimano SL M310 trigger, 8spd||Shimano SL 8S-20 light action, 8spd, twist||Shimano Nexus 8-speed twist grip||Shimano Alivio||-|
|Rims||32h Equation R23 double wall||32h Equation R23 double wall||Double wall alloy||Alloy||-|
|Click here||Click here||Click here||Click here||Click here|
The prices are updated from Amazon.com on March 31, 2014.
Want to See Even More Hybrid Bikes?
- Click here to see our Comparison Chart of 30 Best-Sellers on Amazon
- Click here for our Top Picks for Women
- Click here for our Top Picks for Men
- Check out More Detailed Reviews
Top 5 Hybrid Bike Reviews
Here are our brief reviews of top rated bikes above:
Diamond 2013 Insight STI-8 Performance Hybrid Bike with 700c Wheels
It is one of the most definitive models of the Insight Series which is a synthesis of the best elements of mountain bikes and road bikes. A real pro in mountain and road cycling appropriately built with an upright geometry, efficient wheel-platform, and durable specs for ultimate performance, stability and comfort. Best for commuting and touring, Diamondback Insight STI-8 is also widely valued by training racers and cyclists who ride for a cause. This 2013 insight series model is built meticulously to be comfortable, swift and efficient outshining all other hybrid bike models in the touring world. Diamondback is a renowned name in the bicycle industry creating bicycles for men, women and children with accurate precision and efficiency. This year, another of its revolutionary inventions is rocking the world out there, so don’t miss out the fun!
Diamondback 2013 Insight 2 Performance Hybrid Bike with 700c Wheels
Another Insight series to shake the roads! The 2013 Insight 2 is another product of Diamondback Bicycles range that fits right in the Top Performance hybrid category, and it’s the real deal for commuting, training, exercising or simply pleasure riding. This latest collaborative effort of Diamondback and Shimano, among some of the trusted component makers around the world, embraces all the factors consistent of a mountain bike and a road bike. Although this bike is highly recommended for men who are into rigorous exercise or are entering into triathlons, women who can equal such strength and agility are also satisfied with this Insight model. Diamondback 2013 Insight 2 is the right fit for athletic women who want to get together in their elements. Diamondback is back again with another model in the Insight Series defining geometry in every detail. Geometry mainly influences the upright position of the bike bringing out the best experience in every ride.
Dynamic Runabout 8 Hybrid Bicycle – Chainless Internal Hub Bike
Pleasure riding and commuting has never been this great! This is how many satisfied Dynamic Roundabout 8 users profoundly describe their riding experience with this new model. Beginners and professionals alike are reeling with delight as to how their pleasure rides or commuting rides turned out to be extraordinary. With the new innovative technology of the Runabout city 8-speed bike, comfort and performance are packed into one amazing deal. Why end up with a Dynamic Roundabout 8-speed? Because it’s the hype of the century, the must have for cycling enthusiasts and it’s manufactured by Dynamic Bicycles, the leading manufacturer in the industry. The Shimano Nexus 8-speed system’s spotless look is proof to its heavy-duty construction and wide-ranged gearing. Nexus internal hubs are a product of necessity in urban cities where the bicycle is a major means of transport. The comfort and safety of the rider is ensured more when the Dynamic Runabout 8-Speed Bike is customized to your size and measurement.
Schwinn 411 24 Speed Commuter Bike
“A perfect combo of commuter bike and road bike.” Is how reviews and comments from Schwinn 411 24 Speed Commuter Bike fans could be nailed down to. Schwinn’s standards have been proven and enjoyed by cyclists for over a century. The company’s devotion to the cycling industry is what triggered the manufacture of reliable, durable, top performing bicycles that have satisfied people from across the globe. The science behind Schwinn 411 24 is not something to reckon with. It’s made from first class, high standard materials that makes this bike a great fit for anyone. A new and relaxing way to go around town is now possible with Schwinn 411 24, a revolutionary bike product of the Schwinn Bicycle Company. Either you’re hurrying off to work, school or just running errands, this bike will never let you down. Built with the latest and most trusted technology in the cycling industry, Schwinn 411 24 is a blend of the two most trusted and reliable systems: Shimano and Schwinn. The perfect combination to bring out the best in you!
Vilano Classic Urban Commuter Single Speed Bike Fixie Style City Road Bicycle
This classic urban city commuter bike is a sure way to a woman’s heart. I bet, no woman could ever turn down a gift like this. Designed with the sleek elegance of classic fashion, this bike provides comfort and style, the very essence of the fair. This modern city hybrid single speed commuter bike in a classic styling has a Hi-tensile 700c steel frame with a classic curved fork designed for urban riding. Its moustache style handlebars with comfort grips offer an extremely comfortable riding position. All in all, you’ll be getting a comfortable ride on a sleek and elegant classic design. We’re pretty sure you won’t be winning any races out there with this Vilano Classic Urban City Single Speed Commuter Bike, but one thing is for sure; you’ll be winning some hearts while having the best time of your life.
Hybrid is the Hype
Previously hybrid technology related only to agriculture or organic matters, but nowadays it’s different. Hybrid is more diverse than that. It is pedaling down the road or climbing up mountains. Hybrid bikes are the new generation of bicycles which have amassed huge interest and patronage amongst the cycling community. The moment it was launched in the market, it quickly became popular to the diverse ridership. Recognizing the distinctive needs and preferences of bicyclists, a revolutionary development in bicycle technology spurred hybrid bicycles while gradually replacing the classic variety. It gave birth to the hybrid bikes.
Reinventing Bicycle Technology
Road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes are common categories of bicycles which are separated by their characteristics in performance, frame and application. Though most have taken the ride to the new millennium, there are still those who find beauty and greatness in the old. Hybrid bikes are the best of both worlds – composite of distinct elements resulting to a much higher degree of quality and characteristics. It is a general purpose transport that has the countenance to put up with extremely challenging riding conditions and applications. Hybrid bikes borrow some of the typical characteristics of the traditional bikes such as the flat, straight handlebars and the upright seating posture of a mountain bike and the smooth tires, thin wheels, and lighter weight of a road bike. With the ingenuity of the new designs, enhancements and ideas blending the characteristics of traditional bikes, the result was dynamic hybrid quality that spurred other categories of bicycles: The best hybrid bicycles.
Components Of A Hybrid Bicycle
Perhaps the best advice a professional enthusiast can offer you in choosing hybrid bicycles are to find ones that are complete with decent components. In every vehicle, it is always the moving parts which make it functional and dependable. Extraordinary hybrid bikes had to have these components in their best quality:
- The Wheels
Since it was already established that a hybrid bike is a combination of the qualities one can find in mountain bikes and road bikes, this is apparent in the wheels of a hybrid bicycle. Like the mountain bike, its wheels are wide to ensure stability and with a higher level of air pressure like the road bikes to attain optimum speed without rolling resistance. Hybrid bicycle rims and spokes are much like that of the road bikes too.
- The Frame
Ideal bike frames are those which could withstand challenging conditions and extreme impacts. Hybrid bikes’ frame is typically made of chromoly (common variant stylings include chrome-moly, CrMo, CRMO, CR-MOLY), a lightweight aluminum, which has the quality of durability that is less expensive compared to other materials.
- The Handlebars
Ideal handlebars are ones that allows the rider better vision and control. Hybrid bikes have handlebars that are much like that of the mountain bike. They are flat and go straight to the stem. This allows the rider a wider and firmer grip.
- The Gears
Again, it is good to note that hybrid bikes perform general-purpose functions. They have to be able to climb mountains and speed up on flat roads. Therefore, the gearing setup is important. Hybrid bicycles now go chainless. This would mean shifting is independent from pedaling. This allows the rider to change gears anytime even while pedaling without being stuck in the wrong gear.
- The Pedals
Hybrid bicycles come with different types of pedals depending on the rider’s preference and purpose. This type of bicycles can have platform pedals, toe clips pedals or clipless pedals. Riders could choose which is more convenient and appropriate for the terrain.
Tips and Tricks in Choosing the Best Hybrid Bikes
Since you now have a basic idea of the components, choosing the best is not an easy feat. You need to be attentive to every detail and you must have at least satisfactory a background knowledge of the basic mechanical composition of a bike. These are some simple tips to use when choosing the best hybrid bikes that’s just right for you:
- Choose the right size for you that best compliment your height and inseam measurements. This would matter in the comfort and ease in driving. For more details see our hybrid bikes sizing guidelines. There are models of this type specifically designed for women and children.
- Consider your riding style. Bikes are usually designed for specific roads and pavements. Hybrid bikes are versatile in that they allow commuters to ride to school, work, shopping, drive around hills or climb mountains.
- Have a clear goal. Why do you need a bike? If you are sporty, you can either go for a road racing bike or sports bike. But if you prefer more challenging trails, you go for a mountain bike. Having a clear goal on why you need a bike will help you decide to choose the best hybrid bike for you.
Going For the Best Hybrid Bicycles
Those guidelines are just for starters. Now, here is the real thing for choosing the best out there in the market. If you Google “best hybrid bikes” or “hybrid bike reviews”, you’ll find many reviews, promotions and recommendations. Sorting through these to get the best idea in choosing the best hybrid bicycles may not be that easy for beginner enthusiasts. Here are some tips that may help you:
- Go for the ones with smarter gearings. Chainless bikes are now the hype in the bicycle world. These bikes are created using two innovative technologies: the patented shaft drive and Shimano’s advanced internal gear hubs.
- Contrary to customary bikes, the patented shaft drive transfers power from the pedal to the rear wheel using gears. This ensures a smoother ride, great performance and they’re easy to maintain without the risk of cutting your finger, tearing your clothes, or getting greasy and messy stuff all over you. When the shaft drive is integrated with Shimano’s advanced internal hub, an optimized riding experience will surely be yours.
- Unlike chain bikes, this advanced internal gear hub compresses all the gearings into the cylindrical internal hub. This will technically result to a very low maintenance and will create easy shifting for speed.
- Go for the ones that are easy to transport. These bikes are usually chainless so there’ll be no greasy palms, cut fingers, torn clothes, mess and dirt. They are made of light yet durable materials so they can be conveniently loaded and unloaded from your car.
- Go for the ones with attractive modern design shaft drive and exterior system. Women, by nature, are relatively more particular with this, but men are, too. Shaft drives that are sleek and attractive give bicycles the most coveted look.
- Go for the ones that are smooth and consistent. Perhaps one of the most disconcerting conditions your bike is in, is when the chains emit sound while you’re pedaling. This could be quite embarrassing as this could turn some heads, right? The best hybrid bikes are chainless so you will have no problem with chain noise. The shaft drive, on the other hand, makes them perform smoothly and efficiently.
- Go for the ones that can give you the best quality at a fair price. We know, of course, that with quality comes the price. But there are bikes which are of high quality but you can get them at a reasonable price. It’s just patience and determination to get the best one for you. There are good deals you can find on the internet. However, unlike buying at local stores, there could be some little tweaks you can’t handle. You might need help from local stores.
- Lastly, and most significantly, go for the ones listed above. I wouldn’t dream wasting your precious time reading an invaluable, empty and uninformative article. That’s why, I have searched the internet extensively to provide you with the best choices.
So there you go. At the end of the day, your patience and interest in reading this article pays off. You now have some ideas on how to choose the right bicycle. Make sure to read the hybrid bike reviews to learn more about their pros and cons. I’ve already done the leg work giving you 5 choices of the best hybrid bikes on the market today. You should also watch this video for more advice from Richard Frank!
Important Last Minute Reminder
The best hybrid bicycle is a good choice for both in town and out of town riding. However, you should know that a good bike must have decent components to make it functional and consistent. Any bike boasts of speed but not both speed and consistency. But these bicycles provide speed performance, consistency and reliability. Also, you must check that you have other equally important accessories such as lights, racks and locks which are built-in features with some hybrid bike models. So start optimizing your biking experience. Either you’re going for a trek ride or a casual ride around the city, opt for the best hybrid bike.
Want to See Even More Hybrid Bikes?